Building a chicken coop yourself is a great idea rather than buying a ready-made one. You just need to keep a few things in mind to ensure building an effective chicken coop. Following are a few pointers that can help you plan out things perfectly.
1. First and foremost, build the coop on a raised surface, preferably a sloped one; so that it does not accumulate water during rain.
2. Make sure you build the chicken coop in accordance with the number of chickens, you will be breeding. Every bird needs to have at least 2 square feet for it, inside the coop; too suffocated a place doubles the chances of spreading diseases among your flock.
3. Make a blueprint of your chicken coop, before you get started with the construction process. Lay out the design you have in your mind, ensuring the design corresponds with the needs and requirements of your birds. There should be windows in the coop, opening outside, to resolve the problem of ventilation in hot and humid weathers. Moreover, there needs to be a door, big enough to let you get inside for cleaning purpose and collecting eggs.
4. Spot a place, which gets enough sunlight during the day, especially if you live in colder regions, to build your chicken coop on.
5. Decide upon the material you would like to use for building the coop. Better look around for scrap wood, already available in your home for building purpose.
6. Make a rough design as to where would you like to put nest boxes and perches inside the coop; so that it gets easier once you start building the coop.
If you are thinking how do I build a chicken coop and need some proper DIY instructions, then you should check out the chicken coop plans made by Bill Keene, as they are simple to understand and easy to follow.